Construction Safety Officer, Construction
Various Site Locations, Lower Mainland, BC
A culture of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit has driven Wesgroup to find new ways to solve problems and transform community value since 1960. Today, we are among the largest privately held real estate companies in Western Canada, and we are still as passionate about innovation today as we were over 50 years ago. We do more than build projects — we create communities. From professional office campuses to master planned communities to urban infill buildings, a Wesgroup Community is one that makes a positive impact on its neighbours and stakeholders.
The Construction team of Wesgroup is looking for a motivated individual who is committed to growing their professional career at Wesgroup while gaining knowledge and experience through a variety of assignments.
- Review subcontractors documentation for accuracy and provide feedback to personnel
- Assist in the planning and start-up of new projects with respect to safety
- Inventory safety related training of subcontractor’s workers; conduct new worker safety orientations
- Conduct safety meetings and toolbox talks
- Keep management current on the status of any issue(s) that may impact on the work being performed
- Prepare site safety plans
- Promote safe working conditions
- Enforce safety regulations and safe work practices
- Conduct hazard assessments
- Maintain and prepare thorough documentation and reports
- Provide First Aid coverage as required by the Project.
- Participate in daily safety interactions, including performing and documenting daily safety inspections (including tools/equipment) and auditing to ensure adherence to standards.
- Facilitate and participate in incident investigations and risk assessments, as required.
- Ensure that all accidents, incidents and injuries are properly reported to all appropriate parties.
- In collaboration with the Safety Consultant, provides regular worksite safety training for all employees including new worker orientation, sub-contractor orientation and topics such as WHMIS, company policies and procedures, lockout, respirator fit tests, hearing tests, etc.
- Coordinates Material Safety Data Sheet library for controlled products.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- A minimum of two – five year’s relevant experience in a site/field safety role
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to influence others
- Must have transportation endorsement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail
- Occupational First Aid Level 3 certification
- Experience with the BCCSA’s C.O.R. program and auditing processes
- Initiative and sound judgment
- Proficiency with productivity, scheduling, and software tools (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Candidates must have demonstrated and thorough understanding of WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and organize work.
We thank all applicants in advance however only those with relevant backgrounds may be contacted.